Squash - Friday Night at Preston College

Discussion in 'Sports and Activities' started by roger muraldo, Aug 30, 2014.

1. roger muraldo

roger muraldo Member

Hi People. the Friday night sessions are still running well. This week we had 6 people in attendance, but there's always room for more.

If you have never given squash a go before, or you would like to get back into it at a slower pace than getting stuck into leagues, or even if you want to try a newer way of getting fit (the best/toughest aerobic activity there is is squash) then feel free to come on down and give it a try.

New players are always welcome, and I am a qualified level 1 squash coach, so if you want a couple of pointers on how to improve your game then what more could you ask for?

Bookings are still at 6pm on Fridays, so feel free to come on down.

Cheers

Roger

Alex likes this.
  2. Alex

Alex Guest

I'll be away for the next 2 fridays but should be back after that

3. roger muraldo

roger muraldo Member

Hello everyone. A note to point out that the Citrus squash night is still running every Friday at 6pm in Preston College. If you play and want some extra games, or are a bit rusty and want to get back into it, or even if you have never played, why not come on down. All new players are welcomed.

Michiel likes this.
  4. Hi Roger

Unfortunately my shifts have swung onto weekends again I will be back in the new year when my shifts allow :-(

5. roger muraldo

roger muraldo Member

Okay, never mind Nikky. See you when you can make it.

6. Jon Neal

Jon Neal Citrus Club Staff Member

Sorry, there is no squash this Friday 27th February 2015, as the Sports Hall is in use by Preston College.

Back next week as usual.

I'm considering moving the squash to 6.40pm by the way, as I think it's difficult for a lot of people to make it for 6pm. I'll let you know if and when this changes.

We're hoping to build the numbers up so we can start the beginners squash league.

7. Jon Neal

Please note the NEW TIME for Squash at Preston College, from Friday 10th April 2015 onwards.

Friday nights 6.40pm - 7.20pm. We have 2 courts as usual.

Cost for guests: £4

See you there.

8. roger muraldo

roger muraldo Member

Hello everyone. I know it's been a while since I posted anything here but it's time I did again. Citrus Friday squash is coming along well, any and all new players welcome. Just turn up at Preston College by 6:40 and you will be guaranteed a game or two.

I have been reminded about a point on squash etiquette, that I need to mention. Keep an eye out for the other player at all times.

When playing a shot you should be free to place it directly anywhere on the front wall without obstruction, this applies to the shot as well as your racquet swing. If your opponent is in the way then don't play the shot and call 'let'. This can be a bit more complicated in that if the person deliberately moves in the way or doesn't attempt to get out of the way, as strictly speaking you can claim the point and call 'stroke', but to keep it simple call 'let'.

Always be aware of where your opponent is for 3 reasons:-
    1) it allows you to decide where to best place your shot to win the rally,
    2) it makes sure you don't hit them with the ball or your racquet - just call 'let',
    3) it makes sure YOU don't get hit by the ball or racquet! If you obstruct someones shot then it's a double whammy (no pun intended). Not only do you get hit, but you lose the point as well, because after you shouldn't have been there.

Here endeth the first lesson!

Jon Neal likes this.
  9. Jon Neal

10. Jon Neal

Sorry, but there is no squash on Fri 22nd January due to an event at Preston College.

11. Jon Neal

Please note that from 4th February onwards, squash will now be on THURSDAY NIGHT, 7.20pm until 8pm.

The last Friday session is this Friday 29th January, 6.40pm as usual.

12. Jon Neal

We have recently moved our Squash Night to Thursday nights, 7.20pm to 8pm at Preston College. We were hoping that this night would be more popular than Friday nights, but so far this does not seem to have happened!

We are considering moving the squash night back to Friday nights, assuming that the slot is still available with Preston College.

Please let us know your preferred day for playing squash, or if you'd prefer to arrange your own games in a league format.

For now, Squash is on Thursday nights, 7.20pm at Preston College but please keep an eye on the website for further updates.

13. Jon Neal

Anita, Steph and Eileen have all said they would prefer Friday nights. Roger is happy with either Thursday or Friday. Anyone else?

Looks like we will be moving this back to Friday soon then, if the slot is still available ...

14. Jon Neal

15. Jon Neal

Sorry, but squash tonight (Friday 13th May) at Preston College is cancelled due to a power cut.

16. Jon Neal

Sorry, there is only 1 squash court available tonight (Fri 24th March, 2017).

Also there will be no squash on the following dates:-

Fri 3rd March - due to an event at Preston College.
    Fri 24th March - due to an event at Preston College.
    Fri 14th April - Good Friday

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Please book via the website to let other members know you will be attending:

https://www.citrus-club.co.uk/squash.php